Monday, January 19, 2009

Ethiopian dinner

After church on Saturday evening, Tom had the great idea to go to downtown Omaha for dinner at what appears to be the only Ethiopian restaurant in town. It is called, creatively enough, "Ethiopian Restaurant." (I don't know why, but I thought that was funny.) It is attached to the East African Grocery. Anna was a bit suspicious, as she is the world's pickiest eater, but she actually tried five different things and liked three of them. Anna, Emily and I preferred the vegetarian dishes... lots of lentils. Tom liked the lamb and chicken. Everyone loved the injera bread. What a fun texture! Kenneth was working, so he couldn't join us, but he enjoyed the left-overs the next day.

We enjoyed chatting with the waitress, although she had somewhat limited English. We found out that her name is Selam, just like one of our twins. I also had her pronounce Fikir for Tom and the girls. It sounds so much prettier when spoken by a native Ethiopian.

We'll definitely go back sometime with our new daughters! :)

3 comments:

steffany said...

I love Ethiopian food. Gedese is teaching me so when she leaves I can keep cooking it. We have it at least every two weeks. Spicier the better:)

Kristen said...

What fun... and I too thought the name was funny. No wonder we are friends! Never had Ethiopian food... gonna have to try it sometime. How cool that your waitress has the same name as one of your girls!!!

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

OH, you liked the injera. Good for you. Me, not so much. I did like the doro wat (chicken stew), though.

What a "clever" restaurant name....